Plasterboard question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get foil backed plaster boards for my loft. What I want to know is can you get foil back plaster boards with tapered edges so I dont have to get the boards to land on a rafter ?

Or I have put Kingspan insulation in and that has the shinny foil on the back. Will this act as a vapour barrier and I can just get the standard tapered edge plasterboard ?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You can get 12.5mm Duplex boards in both square & taper edge but you should never butt join the plasterboard anywhere other than down the centre of a joist; just taping & filling the joint won’t hold it together or stop it cracking. You should still use Duplex even though the Kingspan insulation is foil backed; are you having it plaster skimmed afterwards?

If it’s a loft conversion? Be aware that even though you no longer need Planning Permission, what you are doing must still comply with relevant building regulations regarding insulation, fire, safe access & escape & any electrical work done up there.

Sponsored Links
Whats the purpose of the tapered edge then I though it was the same principle as with for eg the t ng edge loft boards. You did not have to get them to land on a joist ?

I now I am wrong just want to understand the purpose of the taper edge. Is it so you dont have to use scrim tape ?

I see so you can just paint directly onto the board. So if I am plaster boarding my rafters and I get the joint to land on a rafter. Do I just fill it or do I have to tape as well.

Don understand how you can tape if you are going to paint directly onto the board ?

Just trying to understand. Appreciate your advice

Once the joint is taped, more filler is trowelled over the top. This fills the tapered area flush with the rest of the board. This is the normal way for houses in the States, but I would prefer to skim the walls.

In a good job you won't see the joints. However emusion sometimes dries slightly different over the joints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back