plasterboard size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am re-boarding the stud walls in the kitchen.
Old plasterboard is down.I have been told by one of you good chaps on here i should use the vapourshield boards square edge as its being skimmed. I carnt seem to find boards that are 2500 in length as this is the height of my ceiling . So is it ok to have a 100mm cut at the bottom or top or is there a better way to do this.

Sponsored Links
you're going to have joints at the sides anyway, so what difference does it matter if you have one at the top?

I'd go for a bigger piece than 100mm though.. if it's going to be behind units then put the joint at the bottom.

Hi thanks for the quick answer if i make the piece say 300mm does that sound ok.
maney thanks rich

how would I know, I'm an electrician.. ;)

I was only going by what I myself would do.. it's going to be easier to make a larger piece flush and level with the others than it would be to do the same with a smaller piece..

Sponsored Links
coljack thanks it sounds right what you say.
If any plasterer has any other suggestions would be welcomed to comment.

I would add that maybe the structure of your stud frame may have a bearing on the decision also.

I suspect you would want the board edges to join so that a wooden beam is behind and you can secure both edges of the p/b to it. This would be more secure.

I can't see problem with a 100mm strip at the top. Once its all skimmed it be OK.

Its easier to fit the full board first off the floor, and then infill the top - as the ceiling may not be precisely 100mm from the board edge so its easier to mess about cutting little strips rather than whole boards.

Remember that plaster board should not touch the floor - raise it by using packers of plaster board offcuts ie 10-12mm. And then remove these once the board is fixed

And the boards don't have to go vertically, put them horizontal if that is easier - it wont make a difference to the 100mm strip, but it may work out better in some circumstances

Or use 6x3 boards and you wont have small 100mm strips

Has everyone gone on hollidays on here.:cool:
A few are & I've been away all weekend :LOL: I’ll also be in Spain for 5 weeks next Monday :cool: so I won't be around much either as I'm restricted to an ancient PC & dial up internet connection over there, even the less than 1Mb speed I have in the rural Norfolk here is far better than you can get over there. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that woody it helps allot.
How lucky are you Richard do you work on( wish you were here)

And the boards don't have to go vertically, put them horizontal if that is easier

Not always the case woodster. It is all too easy to lose the top board behind the bottom thus forcing the bottom one off and ending up in a mess. Fixing vertically is by far the easier way.

noseall if i fix vertical will the 100mm strip be ok or should i make it 300mm thanks for your time
Rich

100mm will be fine as there is little interference at the top of a wall.

Apologies to woods as i only skimmed the post and assumed it was dabbed. :oops:

Bound edges of the board should go across or at 90 degrees to the studs/joists.

Thanks for that woody it helps allot.
How lucky are you Richard do you work on( wish you were here)
No just semi-retired with close family in Spain who don't like the summer heat :eek: ; WTF they moved there in the first place beats me but it suits me for the 5/6 week house swap we do every year; it could be two months if the wife could take more time off work & she won't let me go on my own! :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back