Plasterboard support

Joined
18 Feb 2006
Messages
1,671
Reaction score
20
Location
Birmingham
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Had a failed lathe and plaster ceiling in the bay which I’ve removed and planning on plastering boarding. Now the issue is the joists…there are none at the edges, can the board support itself or do I need to think of a way to add timber supports?

Thanks in advance, any advice appreciated

IMG_9650.jpeg
 
Needs more support really, ie noggins. Although looks like coving may have been there before? In which case may get away with it if coving again
 
Not coving this bit and hasn’t been there since we’ve moved in. There was a pvc trim there which I removed. Does it just need noggins in between the 2 joists or also against the wall?

Thanks
 
I’d just counter batten it ie batten over the joists at right angles to them. Obv would bring the ceiling down by an inch or so. If thats not an option you just need to get the ends nearest the wall/window supported rather than between the joists
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top