Ceiling board perimeter support necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm about to attach new ceiling plaster boards, but read somewhere else on this forum that it is advisable to place nogins between the joists all the way around the perimeter of the room for extra support? It makes sense, but is this strongly advised? It will take a fair amount of work?

It's an old 1930's terraced house that had lathe and plaster ceilings.

If I do need to do this, I assume I can simply cut timber sections between every joist and screw these around the perimeter, similar to noggins?

Any advise on wood dimensions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
imho if your going to have the weight of the board and plaster on it id be putting noggings right across the room not just on the perimiter.
Im no expert on this,this is just an opinion but im sure one of the the guys will be able to tell you properly soon.

Hi Guys, just bumping this up hoping for more advise. All ceiling boards down now, and my gut feeling is to simply stick in a load of extra noggins while I'm at it. The joists are roughly 500mm apart, so the question is whether with this spacing and axtra noggins randomly placed to strengthen up the joists, would all you builders out there normally ensure that you had an entire perimeter of timber noggins to screw up against on the edges?

Use 12mm boards and 6footx3 foot size not 8x4 :idea: ( sorry to mix imperial and metric :oops: ) Anyway those will be strong enough to bridge 500 mm and easier to handle ;)

Sponsored Links
Agree with noseall. there's no need for additional support around the outside of the ceiling.

Thanks guys,

Appreciate the advice and am relieved at not havign to install that many noggins. I may insert a few random ones where I can feel the joists are a bit loose or twisting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back