Plasterboard to fix under stairs cieling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've got a knackered lath and plaster sloping understairs cieling with great lumps of plaster missing and other plaster just hanging on. Rather than hack off and replaster, I am considering putting up plasterboard. Will it be OK to screw some battening to the walls at cieling level and screw the plasterboard into those? i.e. there will be no central support for the board. The width and length of the cieling are 96cm x 190cm.

Attachments

• 20230723_094130.jpg
    20230723_094130.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230723_094140.jpg
    20230723_094140.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
Are you sure there isn't something down the middle already? The lathes wouldn't really cope with that spacing and neither will your new board.

Thanks Freddie. There is. Just hacked off some more plaster in 2 places and found some battening right in the middle.
So am I good to go?
Not used plasterboard before. I'm guessing just cut to size, fix with plasterboard screws and skim with some ready mixed stuff?
Any tips?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back