Plasterboard, which side facing out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We've just insulated our bedroom wall and put new plasterboard up. The plan is to skim the plasterboard and then paint it. However, we've put the plasterboard up Ivory side out... Will that cause a problem? I've since read that you should put plasterboard grey side out if you're planning on plastering/ skimming it.

Thanks,
C

Sponsored Links
The grey side should face out if you want to skim plaster over the wall afterwards. If you going to wallpaper,artex or paint the board without applying a layer of plaster you should have white side facing outward.

I have seen this done many time and the plasterer always use pvc if this happen. You could check the plasterboard helpline and they may say it's okay but they won't give you any guarantee on it.

Hi M,

Thanks for this. I thought as much. But am I right in saying it may be okay? You said the plasterer can use PVC if they're plastering on the white side. Is that the case? So you don't think there's a need for us to rip it off and start again?

Thanks,
C

There are many difference types of plasterboards and some of them are now saying you should use white side !! I just spoken to my plasterer friend of mine and he said it's to do with suction drying out time. I don't think there's no need to rip it off as I haven't seen any problem but do give these people a ring and see what they say.

www.knaufdrywall.co.uk

If you do ring them, can you let us know how you got on, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. Okay, I phoned knauf and got through to their technical support line. They recommend you put the white side out for plastering, but she did state that that's what they recommend for their particular boards. So, I phoned the supplier where we got ours from (Newtown Supplies in Dublin) and he said the same thing. White side out for any work you need to do, i.e. plastering, painting or wallpapering. So that's that, no need to worry... we can move on to the next job!

Thanks for getting back, the funny thing is the grey side used to be for plastering ! It would stop the confusion of having to know what side now ! Can't go wrong now, white side all the time unless it's only on some plasterboards, I just wish they put it in writing on the plasterboards !

Totally agree with you. I've never seen instructions on the items you buy from builders suppliers. Guess they don't want to encourage too many DIY'ers.

You should find printed on plasterboards

PLASTER OTHER SIDE ONLY

this is normal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back