Plasterboard with adhesive over first fix electrics?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to fit 12mm plasterboard on a celcon block wall using adhesive, the wall has first fix electrics on it .

Just want to be sure I am going about this the right way before I start ;)

Cables are all surface on the blocks in safe zones around 10mm max above blocks. The socket boxes are 35mm deep due to cable sizes and I intended cutting them in say 15mm into the blocks.
This assumes an adhesive finish thickness of 12-15mm. Seems that 10-25mm is the allowed thickness.

This should leave me with the socket boxes set back a few mm from the front face of the plasterboard (far enough so the side cable entries dont interfere with the back of the plasterboard).
I hope to just fill as needed and paint the plasterboard when finished.

I am assuming you place the board on the wall and thump them to get an impression from the boxes on the back then cut out for them or is there another method.

Sponsored Links
I am assuming you place the board on the wall and thump them to get an impression from the boxes on the back then cut out for them or is there another method.

This is precisely how we do it. I use a jigsaw to cut the board. So long as the boxes are set protruding around 20mm above the surface of the block you will be fine dabbing 12.5mm boards.

Thanks for the reply noseall, seems the builder made the floor screed to joist height 2500mm so even allowing for floor tiles and ceiling board I am going to have a 70mm or so gap to sort somewhere using standard sheets long side upwards.

Most of the walls will have kitchen units against them so should I aim to butt the sheets up to the ceiling boards and sort the lower gap with spacered skirting afterwards?

I am assuming long side up is the usual way?

Correct.

Plasterboards (dabbed) are best fitted vertically.

It is purely a cosmetic choice where you fit the fill-in piece and has no structural relevance. If you intend having full board above with in-fill at the bottom and are going to fix the uppermost boards first (upon packers), then make sure that your dabs of adhesive do not interfere with the bottom cut, as this will obviously need to be fitted once the (uppermost) adhesive has set.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back