Plasterboarding a ceiling

Sponsored Links
damn, not sure what i can do about it now other than to remove the baord i just put in and plane a slither off the offending joist

well that was messy work and i'm glad i bought a power plane now, cetainly looks a lot better, shame i've wasted a few hours correcting it :(

remind me in the future never to buy a house with a plan to renovate it by myself heh

well that was messy work and i'm glad i bought a power plane now, cetainly looks a lot better, shame i've wasted a few hours correcting it :(

remind me in the future never to buy a house with a plan to renovate it by myself heh

It's always worth spending some time preping, because the finished job is all the better for it. ;)

Sponsored Links
I did try and get everything prepared but obviously overlooked a few things

the joist was doubled up to support a trimmer joist, me and the guy who levelled them knew there was a twist towards one end but he levelled the tops of the joists for the floor above rather than for the ceiling, doh!

I've learned one thing and that is planing above yourself is not very nice heheh

oh and I've just made another gaff, I removed a strut for access and in my haste to get a board back up I forgot to nail it back in, when i screwed more into the plasterboard there was a big pop :blush:

glad I bought plenty of boards now

I did try and get everything prepared but obviously overlooked a few things

the joist was doubled up to support a trimmer joist, me and the guy who levelled them knew there was a twist towards one end but he levelled the tops of the joists for the floor above rather than for the ceiling, doh!

I've learned one thing and that is planing above yourself is not very nice heheh

oh and I've just made another gaff, I removed a strut for access and in my haste to get a board back up I forgot to nail it back in, when i screwed more into the plasterboard there was a big pop :blush:

glad I bought plenty of boards now

Best way of learning !

The only reason you get advice here is because most of us have made all kinds of mistakes at one time or another :D

How are you going to prevent the moist air from the house passing through the downlight-holes and condensing in the loft ?

How are you going to prevent the moist air from the house passing through the downlight-holes and condensing in the loft ?

The loft was origionally built as a room with dormer window, I have replaced the joists as they were pretty badly sagging and I am re doing the plasterwork and it will be insulated with 50mm rigid board in the rafters leaving a gap behind for air circulation, then it will be plasterboarded , there's already vents at the apex of the roof to allow moisture to escape

I'm not sure if anything else is needed to be done in terms of preventing condensation?

If the loft is heated then there should be no problem, if not there may be increased condensation principally on windows.

Are you insulating above this ceiling for either sound-transmission or thermal reasons ?

the room will be heated, the insulation is for both sound and thermal

at the moment all the moisture rises up to the attic room but doesn't tend to condense much as it escapes through the vents

the vents will not be open to the room though once it's insulated and plastered, they will only allow an airflow from the eaves and behind the insulation

will i need to do something else to help moisture escape from the warm area?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back