Plasterboarding a ceiling

Sponsored Links
I haven't seen that guide before

maybe some confusion comes from people misunderstanding this bit, who knows

"Lightly butt boards (maximum separation of 3mm)"

anyways second board is in, now for the fun part trying to do around the bay window

thanks for the help/reassurance

well that's half the room done, it's been a bit frustrating what with the centers not quite right , the room out of square and a couple of joist hangers sitting about 5 mm too proud to board over , not sure what to do there, any ideas?

I did contemplate cutting a square hole around them then going back later and filling with thinner plaster board ?

Sponsored Links
a couple of joist hangers sitting about 5 mm too proud to board over , not sure what to do there, any ideas? I did contemplate cutting a square hole around them then going back later and filling with thinner plaster board ?

Don’t cut holes in the board & fill, there is a big risk it will crack, especially over steel; just cut away the back of the board until it sits flush; don’t cut away any more than you have to.

thats wat i do mate just mark it on the back of the board cut it finely with the stanly the use the trusy surform to counter sink the hanger into the baord.
pain in the backside though time consumeing

thats wat i do mate just mark it on the back of the board cut it finely with the stanly the use the trusy surform to counter sink the hanger into the baord.
pain in the backside though time consumeing
Spot on ;)

i'll give it a go but I don't think i've got anything I can put a rebate in with

any suggestions for something cheap that can do the job?

Once you’ve cut through & remover the backing paper, score an outline to the depth you think you will need with a Stanley knife & then remove (scrape) the plaster out to depth with an old chisel, screwdriver or practical anything with a flat blade edge; even a Surform if its not too large to get in there.

had to look that one up, just like a cheese grater huh

well looks like it will have to wait as there's nowhere round here with them in stock :/

Once you’ve cut through & remover the backing paper, score an outline to the depth you think you will need with a Stanley knife & then remove (scrape) the plaster out to depth with an old chisel, screwdriver or practical anything with a flat blade edge; even a Surform if its not too large to get in there.

I'll test it out on a scrap piece with a metal ruler for the scraper, I could really do with getting this bit up today

is there no local diy shops around they always have the little palm sized ones in, thier the ones i use.
sorry i should have posted a link showing ya what i ment my bad :oops:

there's just the usual b&q, wickes, etc round here, none of the had any in stock according to their reserve & collect

anyways the ruler worked fine and the board is in, with no cracking :)

it was a little tedious but worth the effort so thanks to you and Rich C of your help, i'll get the hang of this diy stuff yet ;)

the thing that grates me is that when we were putting the hangers in I did mention the drop but the reply was along the lines of "it'll be reet, plasteboard will pull over it, brute force and ignorance ey!, hahahah"

ok, another slight hitch

as i've got further over the room one of the joists is twisted and causing about and 8mm difference from the neighbouring joists, the board covers it ok but will this be noticable once all skimmed ?

the joist is actually lower than its 2 neighbours so i could plane it level if needed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back