Plasterboarding - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to build a stud wall, and while I'm confident working with wood, I have never plasterboarded anything in my life. I'm keen to give it a go, but I never underestimate any task (I've made that mistake before!), so I wanted to ask the pro's some questions first.

1. Is there any preference as to which way the boards should go? i.e. vertically or horizontally? Basically the wall is 2790mm (w) x 2400mm (h), so I thought two sheets of 2400 x 1200mm vertically, which would leave me with a 390mm strip down the centre. But two horizontally would leave the same strip down one side, so not really any difference. Is there a "best" way?

2. Is it worth applying adhesive to the studs before fixing the boards? If so what would be the best to use? No More Nails or something plasterboard specific?

That'll do for now. Might have some more later. :)

Sponsored Links
Your stud work should be 400 centres that way your can line each board up. I'd lay them horizontal, then fill the last bit with odd cuts. Scrim, and you should be good to go. Use screws to attach the boards you shouldnt need any further adhesive on the back of the boards.

You can line the stud either way as long as you support the join over timber but vertical is almost always then norm. If you use 4” x 2” timber with intermediate noggins & 12.5mm boards (which is what I would advise) you can use 600mm centres for the studs; there is absolutely no problem with this. Use screws rather than nails to assemble the stud work & fix the boards to the stud with dry wall screws at 150mm centres max.

Build the stud wall & then buy whatever boards you need to line it (it’s cheap); personally I would spilt the difference or put the narrow strip down one end & for the sake of a few quid its false economy to make it up with left over bits unless the joins are fully supported.

Can I ask where you are building the stud wall, it may be relevant?

Can I ask where you are building the stud wall, it may be relevant?

It will be basically be a "skin" on top/in front of an existing concrete wall (in a bedroom), so will be screwing the studs to that wall. It's sole purpose is to hide cables etc, which probably seems a bit OTT, but far easier than channeling into concrete! And easier to make changes in future.

Sponsored Links
Wont really be a stud wall then but the same principles will apply. You could get away with 2" battens across that wall, You wont need noggins but wont do any harm screwing in some battens lengthways in between centres. Use wedges to get the battens plumb.

Or; carve out the existing plaster, fit your boxes & run the cables & then dot & dab 12.5mm PB over the top; but make sure you follow the safe zones for electrical cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back