Plasterboarding around a velux.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all

I'm doing up the loft myself (not to regs, just as a dads/mums-room to escape the beasts). We have a velux that the builders put in just to give the loft some light and I've now reached this bit of the room and need to plaster board.

I won't be plastering, just boarding. I figure that's enough for this life.

Question is, do I board *in* to the recess around the window frame, or *upto* the recess in the frame?

You can see from this one that there is a groove running around the frame. Here the plasterboard is not in the groove.
20190928_150652 (1).jpg

Here the plasterboard is inserted in to the groove.
20190928_150715.jpg

Which one is the right/best way?

Olly

Sponsored Links
I did mine into the groove, but angled out to form a sort of bevel as it came away from the window, at top/bottom and sides, to allow more light spread. You would not be able to do that though, if it were tight up to the roof timber struts at either side.

Into the groove, as Madonna would say.
Watch for unequal angles on each side, depending on where the window is positioned relative to the rafters and trimmers. Use a bevel to measure angle and pack accordingly to make sure left is same as right, and top is same as bottom.
Same if you’ve got multiple windows in a row and you want them all to look the same.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Will give it a go. I'd be happy if it looks even half normal.

One day this loft will be finished and I won't know what to do with myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back