Plasterboarding around ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of my my long-running kitchen refurb, new plasterboard is going up (the old stuff is already down to help the electrcian). I will also be having flat channel ducting at ceiling height across a third of the length of the room for the cooker hood.

I have bought 220x90mm ducting to give max airflow for the hood. There won't be any wall units near the hood or on the run to the outside so the duct has to be near ceiling height. There is an RSJ in the way so the duct cannot run above ceiling height and must be below the joists.

Is the best method to first board the ceiling fully, leaving a hole in the corner to connect to the roofspace ducting? Or to reduce protrusion, put the ducting in first then build a box around it?

As a plasterer will be in to skim the walls and ceiling, is is worth fully or partially putting a plasterboard box around the duct first and getting that skimmed? Or leave it until after the skimming is done, put up a wooden box around it and just paint it?

Almost answering my own question, I can see the easiest method is to leave all ducting until after the ceiling is up and skimmed as the bottom of the duct box would only be 13mm lower but I would just like an extra opinion.

Thanks in advance,

James

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back