Routing cooker hood ducting through attached garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I run the ducting for a kitchen extractor hood through an attached garage? My main concern is any fire regs that may apply.

I want to go through the kitchen cavity wall straight across the garage and then out through the outside garage wall.

Given that the garage has a plasterboard and skim ceiling my options, in order of preference, seem to be.

• 1. Run the ducting at ceiling level and attach the ducting to the existing ceiling.
    2. Run the ducting at ceiling level and attach the ducting to the existing ceiling and then box the ducting in with plasterboard.
    3. Run the ducting above the existing plasterboard ceiling.
    4. Don’t go through the garage at all and run the ducting in the floor void above the kitchen to a different outside wall.
It's a chimney type cooker hood so I can't just run the ducting across the top of the cabinets.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Option 2 sounds less hassle, depending on distance. You can go across cabinets if you use rectangular ducting which will sit flat on the cabs and may not be noticable if the cabs are a decent height.

if you do decide to go through the garage, be sure to box it in using plasterboard and skim. this will offer at least a half hour fire resistance and will satisfy b'regs.

Thanks for the input.

Would running the ducting above the plasterboard and skim ceiling of the garage be okay?

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I think the extra work to get the ducting above the ceiling will be worth it in the long run. Hopefully I won't find a beam in the way.

Also, would I correct in assuming that the door between the kitchen and the garage should be fire rated and self closing?

The existing door is solid chipboard without sealing strips or a self closer; the previous owners have also cut an air vent through the door. It’s going to be replaced for cosmetic reasons and I’d prefer to get things right.

fire doors are made up with a reconstituted core like chipboard.

i would definitely fit a new door and closer.

you may come across some noggings at midspan if you go via the ceiling void route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back