Plasterboarding Bare Brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently taken a wall in my house back to bare brick.

I was going to attach a timber frame to the wall and then fix the board to it, however given the weight of the board, what size screws should i be using, i was thinking 3", will these be sufficient?

Also, at what intervals should i screw and plug? My wall is approx 20ft x 12ft (stairwell).

Finally, is there an alternative to putting up a frame, i've read about 'dot and dab' but what exactly is this method and how would i go about it?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Leigh

Sponsored Links
if its an internal or a cavity wall then dot n dab is the best option.

mix up dry wall adhesive
damp down the wall
apply dabs to the wall
stick a plaster board to the dabs and tap level and square with a straight edge and spirit level.

easy.

Thanks noseall,

• Is there a brand of adhesive you'd reccommend?
    Is the grab pretty instant or does the board need supporting (like with plaster coving)?
    Roughly how big should each 'dab' be, are we talking a fist size amount?
    Should i do the bottom of the wall first, allow it to set then use the bottom boards to support those above them?
    Should i space the boards (similar to tiling) to allow for shrinkage when the adhesive sets?
Sorry if these questions are a little dumb, but this is my first attempt at this and i want to be 100% certain.

Cheers,
Leigh

Sponsored Links
Those links probaly tellyou to do this ,but I would recemend putting the dry-wall adhesive at smaller centres at the bottom of the board where you are going to fix skirting espcially on any corners of the wall .This a more solid fixing and stops any damage to the boards when fixing the skirting

From what i've read, i should use a continuous perimeter of adhesive at top and bottom so this should help when attaching the skirting.

Cheers,
Leigh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back