Plasterboarding ceiling query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - looking for some input into best approach for finishing the ceiling boarding in one of my bedrooms, essentially I have a width of about 130cm to board using 120cm wide boards (12.5) and wanted to see what people would usually do:

Use two boards cut to a width of 65cm (which is what I think would be best for support)
Use full width board off the brick wall and then run a 10cm sliver between that and rest of boards
Use full width board off the existing boarding and then run a 10cm sliver against the wall edge.

Maybe being pedantic but thought I'd ask for some input before cracking on!

Thanks

Daniel

Sponsored Links
If you use 65 do they finish on the joists? Probably not. What you saying I would sort of do but maybe 60/70 or 50/80 whatever is needed so the edges can be screwed into joists.

I'll be cutting them down to finish on the joists running at right angles to the board direction, I have perimeter noggins only as I'm use 12.5 boards with joists at 450cm centers so the long lengths on the side only have additional support at the perimeter but the top/bottom will be secured to the joists.

Cheers

Daniel

It doesn’t matter, just make sure you don’t put the join on the same joist as the previous run, ie stagger the joins. You’ve gotta do 2 rows in any case so doesn’t really matter what their respective sizes are.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, having thought about it a bit more I'll stick some more noggins down the middle, cut boards to widths of 65cm and stagger the joints as suggested. Using additional noggins to help support the additional cut edge I'll have. With the wider widths and noggins hopefully avoiding any issues in the future!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back