Plasterboard configuration - ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small kitchen that I want to re-board using the moisture boards (2.4m x 1.2m). The size of the kitchen is approximately 4 metres long by 3 metres wide. The joists run along the 3 metre width i.e. 3 metre long joists.

Is there a best practice in how these ceiling boards should be fitted, where I should cut and whether I should be using battens (how many?) when there is an overhang on a board? I don't want cracks appearing at a future date.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter what way you fix them.
You need to mark the middle of the joist where the plasterboard hangs and cut it to size.
Then butt up the next sheet so you can screw both of them in the joist.
Any overhang will result in cracks appearing forever.

You usually run the boards at 90 degrees to the joists (so the bound edges are spanning fresh air). Ideally you'd put noggins where the bound edges cross. Lengthwise you could mess about with plywood bridging on the joints but it's a lot easier to cut to length.

Thanks guys. Just letting the board over hang a joist and then use noggins to screw it in along with the end of the other board is a no-no?
Thought this may be easier than cutting in the centre of the joist. This roof has trussess and the timber isn't very wide, especially if two boards need to be screwed to it.

Sponsored Links
If your trusses are 50mm wide you'll be fine. If they're not, get some slating batten or 2x2 and sister the bottom rail of the truss where your board joints land. If you are boarding conventionally then noggins would be running at 90° to the cut end, which won't offer a lot of support to the joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back