Plasterboarding over thermalite blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I know the answer to this one but thought I'd check- I'm looking to Plasterboard out an extension - the inner leaf being thermalite blocks.

Initially I thought I'd dot and dab onto the blocks but then thought maybe I could just screw the board to the blocks (as they can be screwed straight into). This would be much easier and quicker (and less mess) but I'm guessing this is probably the cowboy approach in that the screws may effect the strength of each block.
Or I could screw battons to the wall (using less screws) and attach to Plasterboard to these.

I'm guessing the answers will come back as "stop being a lazy git and D and D" but I thought I'd check.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Why not have a proper plastering job done in your new extension ;) you’ll probably never have to touch it again & it will outlast you, dry lining may not.

But if you must dry line, dot & dab it don’t screw directly to the blocks; your likely to see all the undulations in the wall, it may come loose or even fall off. Do skim the boards afterwards though, none of that nasty tape & fill stuff.

Sponsored Links
Dot and Bodge,,,, Yuk!!! :rolleyes:
Rich'd is right,,, get it plastered properly.
Couldn’t agree more RC ;) ; I admit I do a fair bit of it & it does have its uses but many actually think it’s progress & far superior. :eek:

what are we calling properly roughcaster ????????
surely not browning????????? :LOL: :LOL:

I've plastered many a wall with browning over the years, but nowadays it's hardwall or bonding coat,, more bonding coat. Now and again it's sand cement and lime. They still have browning on sale at the local TP's, but as i said, bonding coat and multi finish from BnQ, is my regular plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back