Plastered a pipe in without protecting copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per title, I've just realised I've done something a little silly; we had a pipe leak in a wall so we cut a hole in plasterboard so a plumber could repair it/re solder it etc.

I've replastered it in some layers of thistle stuff I had. Then I've just realised I didn't protect the pipe again with a barrier and I'm lead to believe plaster eventually eats into copper; what kind of time frame is this going to effect me in? Is it a quick thing or 10 years

Sponsored Links
Could be 2-3 years or maybe longer. You can either open it up again now or wait for it to fail then address it and any remedial work caused by the leak.

Maybe a silly question, but why are the 1960 copper pipes not affected by plaster.
I have original pipes buried in plaster in my house and they don't seem to mind being in contact with plaster.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back