Plastered ceiling not flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps,

I have a quick question about expectations from a plasterer. I hired a plasterer to plaster a couple of rooms.

The finish is mostly quite good, although a little bit of cleaning up was required with the odd bit of plaster on window frames, door frames, etc. However, in one of the rooms the ceiling isn't completely level, but only in one corner of the room. The rest is okay, but in this one corner putting a 60cm spirit level shows the ceiling rising around 1cm into the corner. My concern is the ceiling will be white and the walls a different colour and a square wardrobe placed under it will highlight the unevenness.

The corner in question had a fitted wardrobe in it before so there was some making good done to the walls to prep it for plastering by the plasterer himself. He saw the room before plastering during the quoting so knew that there was some fixing up of the plasterboard to do, etc.

So my question is, is it reasonable to expect that the plasterer would level up and square off the corner or is this an unreasonable expectation?

Many thanks,

Graham

Sponsored Links
Hi peeps,

I have a quick question about expectations from a plasterer. I hired a plasterer to plaster a couple of rooms.

The finish is mostly quite good, although a little bit of cleaning up was required with the odd bit of plaster on window frames, door frames, etc. However, in one of the rooms the ceiling isn't completely level, but only in one corner of the room. The rest is okay, but in this one corner putting a 60cm spirit level shows the ceiling rising around 1cm into the corner. My concern is the ceiling will be white and the walls a different colour and a square wardrobe placed under it will highlight the unevenness.

The corner in question had a fitted wardrobe in it before so there was some making good done to the walls to prep it for plastering by the plasterer himself. He saw the room before plastering during the quoting so knew that there was some fixing up of the plasterboard to do, etc.

So my question is, is it reasonable to expect that the plasterer would level up and square off the corner or is this an unreasonable expectation?

Many thanks,

Graham

Tricky without knowing what was discussed and agreed before hand.
If he was asked to skim the ceilings then you would not expect to fill out 10 mm.

Also remember if you fill one side then you will have to fill down the other side and end up filling back in towards the middle of the ceiling.

I would however expect a tradesman to clarify what the possible issues are so you can make an informed decision as there is a cost implication (if you need to bond out a ceiling, then that would increase the work time - from say a 3 hour 'skim' to 'bond out ceiling, wait for bonding to be ready to skim, skim' . Plus mterial.

So he might have said - there's a heck of a bump here that I can't get over with skim, what do yuou want me to do?.

This should have been sorted before agreeing a price - but if this was not visible to the eye beforehand , then why bother with it? If you needa level to check it , then it may not be too bad Sometimes you have to 'ease' plastering to get over things in practice. Will you see the ceiling line over a wardrobe that comes 600 mm (or whatever) off the wall? You can check this by pinning a line across the room where the wardrobe edge will be and seeing hwo it will look.

So - I haven't given you an answer, but something to consider in terms of what you agreed needed doing v what you need to do to rectify.

The corner in question had a fitted wardrobe in it before
the unevenness may have been caused by the lip the old built in wardrobe left behind this is common where the wardrobe would have been plastered up to and a lip formed, when the wardrobe was taken out you then see the lip and unevenness "which" should have been corrected before skimming

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back