plastering a celing on my own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i've just started my own plastering business and guess what my first job is a 48m2 ceiling to plaster it is big for just me so im asking are the plaster stop beads good for breaking it down in to sections and are they visable when plastered and painted thanks

Sponsored Links
blimey that's a big 'un!

stay away from stop beads etc, they WILL be visible! i've heard of a technique of using a run of skrim to section it off, plaster across it then pull the skrim off and carry on in the same fashion, wetting the edges of the last section each time.

have to confess i've never tried it though, i would find another spread to help you and both skim it at the same time.

That is a big un by anyone’s standards & you really need another spread & probably a mixer as well!

I’ve used the stop bead trick many times to vertically divide gable end walls in large Edwardian conservatories which I’ve done up to 6m wide but the problem is always the height which can be up to 4.5m! Fix the bead the opposite way around to normal, i.e. plaster up to the edge, not over the fixing plate/mesh & bury it & pull it off just as the plaster goes off to leave an edge to plaster up to.

I’ve not used it on ceilings; if their too big, my normal trick is to skim ½ & waste away the edge & then, just as it starts to go, cut across the ceiling with the edge of the trowel & scrape off the other side. You need to time it just right though but it will give you an edge to skim the other ½ up to & a little bit of filling (if any) should see you OK. Plastering over & pulling off a layer of scrim tape should effectively give the same result as the bead although with rougher edge; this may be better or not I don’t know as I’ve personally not tried it.

It's a job for a seasoned pro - don't even attempt it. Call the guy back and be frank with him. BTW what price did you go in at?

Sponsored Links
If i was you i would use the rolling set method. Divide the ceiling into 3 bays A B C put chalk marks on the walls to indicate the 3 bays. Mix up small batches of plaster so you are working with fresh plaster. Mix up and lay A ... Mix up and lay B....Flatten A ....Mix up and lay C...Flatten B second coat A Flatten C second coat B second coat C . Using this method the plaster is going off at different times so you can easily keep on top of it. I hope this is of help to you. S/S :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back