Plastering a Full Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some info

Quite a few years ago I plastered our new extentension which had four full walls and the ceiling, I had done some before in another house and it all went off ok and I had a good smooth finish on the walls.
But now I have just done some in my hallway a full wall, and for the life of me I can't get a smooth finish on it, its all wavey and bumpy, I used PVA to help bond the plaster to the existing plaster, and waited to smooth it out and then when it was hard I tried to polish it, but it looks crap.

I have used some one coat plaster from Wickes do you think it might be the plaster, its white I have always used the gray coloured stuff and have not had any problems.
Anybody got any suggestions on what might be the problem, even if its me ?

Flack :confused:

Sponsored Links
The one coat plaster is noted for being less forgiving than more traditional types. Sounds like you overworked it. I am still a novice when it comes to plastering, but one thing I've learned is, when you go back to float it off, if it aint ready, leave it alone and come back later.

One of the best bits of plastering I ever did was by accident. There I was struggling to get it nice when I got a phone call to pick up my daughter in an emergency. By the time I got back I was expecting it to have gone all hard on me. Instead, I found it in that magical state where it went like a dream. Ironically, the bit I'd previously overworked before the phone call was an absolute b***er to get stright. Little mounds all over the place that show up like a sore thumb once they're pollished.

Yep my problem was my one coat plaster I took a bag back I had left and swapped it for Wickes finishing plaster... what a dream to use very good and smooths like a babys bum...
I have now just finished plastering my hallway stairs and landing and it looks gre at..
I even plastered over plywood so all the walls where the same. I can highly recommend Wickes Finishing Plaster.

MJ> :D

Flack

Tell me, where and how did you learn to plaster? I live in a 60's 3 bed semi and the walls are all papered except the loft extension that I have just had completed. There the walls were plastered and it looks soooo much better. Now I want to do the rest of the house, room by room. Previous experience at wallpapering has shown the walls to have pitted plaster where repeated wallpaper stripping has taken its toll. I'm an experienced diy'er and there isn't much I don't take on. Plastering is one of those jobs I've always steered clear of. The walls in by house are solid. I presume I strip off the old plaster back to the brick/block and build it back up, or do I just skim the existing plaster? Any advice tips would be welcome. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I had to teach myself, I to had an extension built and I started on that, I did it by fixing batons to bare wall and using them as my level for the browning/undercoat. This makes it easier to get the top coat level and polished. Then just move the baton along as you go, then just fill in the gaps.

As for my last job I just removed all the loose plaster and gave it a good coat of PVA adhesive and then just skim it up.... like a post above mentions don't play with it to long just get the plaster on as smooth and evenly as you can then wait till it starts to harden then with a spray bottle of water polish it off.

Flack. :D

My previous attempts at plastering kept a team of nurses in work for a week to stitch up the split sides of the plasterers I called in to redo it for me :LOL:

I tried the Wickes one-coat (made by Knauf). Found that OK in some areas (generally small areas). When it got to a big area (a ceiling) it just wouldn't go right for me. So I tried Thistel multi-finish. This was an improvement but still not going right. I now know what I was doing wrong (I think) but I will investigate a course before trying any large areas again.

If you are replastering, it probably isn't a good idea to go right back to brick and block unless you absolutely have to.

I used the Batten method for a bathroom wall, and when the tiler came, he literally p*ed himself. You gotta larf.......

I was very lucky. On the first bit of plastering job I ever takled, I asked a mate to drop off the plaster for me in his van. (not having a van at the time I didn't want to get my boot messed up). Anyhow, being a fully apprentice served plasterer, he decided to wait around and have a laugh. (Never mind, he's a rubbish bricklayer :) and he let me have the plaster for nothing as a favour). I still use the method that he showed me.

Have a long feather edge. (essential kit, a bit of skirting board will do for a one off job but if you're doing a whole house I'd recommend getting a proper aluminium jobby of at least 5 ft in length).

1) Work on an area whose width is slightly smaller than your straight edge. Starting at the bottom lay the plaster on to the required thickness.

2) Starting from the bottom scrape the feather edge up the wall (with a type of zig zag motion) to collect the excess.

3) Check using the edge vertically to ensure it's flat in that plane too. Fill any depressions that have become apparent and repeat feather edge treatment, untill you are satisfied that it is flat. (do not be fussy about appearance at this stage).

4)Move on to the next section and repeat, untill you have covered the wall.

5)Clear up all the mess that you've made on the floor and have a cuppa.

6)Once the plaster has started to go off run your trowel over the whole wall to remove the worst of the scrape marks.

7)Have another cuppa.

8)Keeping the trowel wet go over it once more. (if this is leaving trowel marks on the wall stop immediately and repeat step 7.)

As I say, I aint no plasterer, but it works for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back