plastering a large ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a large ceiling to plaster i say large its 1029 square foot and was wondering if there was any tips as to keeping the plaster live for longer or weather to use plaster at all

Sponsored Links
95 sq/m is one MF of a ceiling :eek: , you sure you’ve got that right? What are the linear dimensions? I would say that’s an impossible size to attempt on your own in one hit (there are other ways), even with someone mixing for you. I’ve never attempted anything anywhere near that size but would guess you need at least another couple of spreads & a mixer to help you.

95 sq/m is one MF of a ceiling :eek: , you sure you’ve got that right? What are the linear dimensions? I would say that’s an impossible size to attempt on your own in one hit (there are other ways), even with someone mixing for you. I’ve never attempted anything anywhere near that size but would guess you need at least another couple of spreads & a mixer to help you.

you are correct i was wrong about the measurements its not 1029square foot its actually 1092square foot not much extra but on a ceilin this size every little helps. i had already thought of useing a few more spreads but someone said about useing something else as opposed to multi finish and then i wundt have to use as many extra spreads. i ask because today i looked at anouther ceilin thats bigger than this current one and i wantd to use this one as an experiment to use against the bigger one.any ideas???

Sponsored Links
:LOL: so not many other ways of doin it really then ive looked hifgh and low and cnt find anouther way to do it other than useing the stop bead trick but i think that will look toot at the end well i guess its goin to be a party of spreads the more the merrier

A 3&1 should crack it. Get three gauges ready whilst one of the spreads tapes up (everyone else can muck in on the mixing), then the labourer should keep up after the initial burst.

Use an 8' x 4' cut in half for spot boards.

Good luck. ;)

;) cheers guys for the advice i boarded the ceiling today wat a barstard 35 8 by 4 plasterboards with 50 cables to pull through none of wich the electritian put in the right place so had to line it all up my self.

Impossible on your own....I have done a 70sq mtr on my todd and that pushed to the limit, apparently if you p**s in the water it acts as a retardent as does either plasterciser or pva (cant remember which) have tried neither so wouldnt know.
Save time by taping up everywhere first, and feathering in the overskim with a wet brush and trowell, ideally set up small trestles and 8 x 4 sheets as a platform, if not then its stilts, personally would give you tuppence for stilts.

I thought if you ****ed in the gauging water it went off quicker, it was an old labourers trick they used to do if you ****ed them off!!!
Also have had boys put cat ****e in the render mix and have not found it till I floated up and it "explodes", Nice!!!!! :cry:

I thought if you p****d in the gauging water it went off quicker, it was an old labourers trick they used to do if you p****d them off!!!
Yea but your forgetting, Irish **** is probably 50% Guinness :LOL:

A handful of board adhesive will slow the finish down, but make it more greasy.

In the days of Carlite or sirapite,a few handfuls of that worked too.

You surely would not p!55 in the mix to make it quicker as dirty water does the job.

A 'rolling guage' will allow you to get any size ceiling you want without a join as long as you have the time in the day do so from when you startto when you have to stop ie if you can skim 40m2 at a time, then you can skim 3 hits x 40 m2 in a day, or 2x 40 or 5x40 Often to skim a bigger ceiling, smaller hits make sense.

That's just a view on it.

Also , don't get the square foot thing myself!

does adding a handfull of board adhesive really slow the settting time ive never herd that before i wouldhave thought that mixing dusts would set it off quicker not saying your lieing at all im genuinly asking

does adding a handfull of board adhesive really slow the settting time ive never herd that before i wouldhave thought that mixing dusts would set it off quicker not saying your lieing at all im genuinly asking

If you are too young to remember Carlte wall finish then you will not understand the whole quick set slow set thing.

Carlte finish would hold off for ages then all of a sudden it would go! Good as a retarder tough. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back