Plastering a lintel...advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
15045138112901382799215.jpg
Hi,

Could someone offer me a little advice on how i should go about plastering over a lintel that's just been installed for the purpose of a new door?
I have attached a coupe of pics for information.
But I'm wondering which plaster would be best to start with. How many layers / levels should I build it up with and can I plaster straight over the top or is there a mesh that I should use to give the plaster something to hold on to and to hel form the shape?
Obviously I will be cleaning up the wall first, removing wallpapers and loose plaster. Then (once plastered) it will be framed for the door.
Any advice is appreciated

Attachments

• 1504513864464-444786980.jpg
    1504513864464-444786980.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 227
Sponsored Links
Hi,

You should be okay to just use standard plaster.
As you said, clean it up first. Because of the type of wall.. I would mix PVA glue with water (about 5 parts water to 1 part glue). Mix well and then 'paint' this onto the bits you'll be plastering. This will make sure the concrete doesn't absorb the moisture from the plaster and make it crack.
Once you've done that (possibly two coats?) you can just plaster directly onto it.

Hope that helps :)

You need to put the door-frame in first .
Then you can plaster to it , i would use " thistle bonding coat ".

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. I've, now cleaned up the wall and PVA'd the exposed concrete. I've also applied a coat of Thistle bond 'Hardwall'. Next I intend to use Thistle Bond Multi finish.
Good point about the frame...I've just been using a scrap bit of wood to use as an edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back