Plastering a shower cubicle ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a new shower cubicle and ceiling is at the moment new plasterboard.

Thought as its such a small area I would give it a go myself (fool).

Couple of questions;-

1) As its in the shower what plaster should I get?

2) Any good diy guides for ceilings?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
normal multi-finish is fine, just make sure you paint it with a bathroom paint to seal it.

mix it a little on the firmer side, though this probably means nothing to you if you've never attempted plastering before.

wear goggles!!

lay on a first coat as quick as you can without worrying what it looks like, just cover everything.

clean your tools and bucket etc.

flatten the ceiling off as best you can but don't play with it too much.

when its quite firm, mix up another mix, half as much as you needed the first time as it goes on thinner (1mm) lay that on quickly too but make sure ceiling lines are all covered and no hollows anywhere.

clean up, flatten off, wait a little while for it to firm up a bit then flatten again, each time using the muck that comes off the ceiling and onto the trowel to fill and hollows/misses.

technically you have 2 trowels to get it flat, then a further 1 or 2 trowels to finish it, 1 with a splash of water to lubricate the a dry trowel to finish/close it in.

normal multi-finish is fine, just make sure you paint it with a bathroom paint to seal it.

mix it a little on the firmer side, though this probably means nothing to you if you've never attempted plastering before.

wear goggles!!

lay on a first coat as quick as you can without worrying what it looks like, just cover everything.

clean your tools and bucket etc.

flatten the ceiling off as best you can but don't play with it too much.

when its quite firm, mix up another mix, half as much as you needed the first time as it goes on thinner (1mm) lay that on quickly too but make sure ceiling lines are all covered and no hollows anywhere.

clean up, flatten off, wait a little while for it to firm up a bit then flatten again, each time using the muck that comes off the ceiling and onto the trowel to fill and hollows/misses.

technically you have 2 trowels to get it flat, then a further 1 or 2 trowels to finish it, 1 with a splash of water to lubricate the a dry trowel to finish/close it in.

And then pick up your certificate on the way out!!

Sponsored Links
Cheers lads - It sounds as easy at it looks!

We all know the truth is somewhat different.

Must get a hat too :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back