Plastering a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to plaster my party walls in my loft its not required by the regs but as part of my conversion I want the walls to be as sound proof as possible. This wont be the final wall as the regs state I have to build a stud wall not connected to the original party wall so the finish is not a major problem.

Whats the best stuff to use please and would I be able to do it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

How thick should it be and what mix should I do?

Thanks.

with it being in the loft i would be more inclined to plaster with a light weight render such as carlite browning.
easier on the carrying arm ;)

Sponsored Links
easier on the arm maybe but for sound proofing the sand cement would be more sound proofing as more dense a mix of 4:1 about half inch thick

NS215 said:
easier on the arm maybe but for sound proofing the sand cement would be more sound proofing as more dense a mix of 4:1 about half inch thick

yes, the extra density would provide a greater sound insulator, but the sound transmitting contributory factors, local to the wall, will mean the sound proofing difference will be negligable compared to the light weight render.

but the sound transmitting contributory factors, local to the wall, will mean the sound proofing difference will be negligable compared to the light weight render.[/quote]

sound transmitting contributory factors, local to the wall

such as ???????

mainly joists, other walls, etc.

sound proofing is extremely difficult to achieve.

sound deadening is not.

i agree more weight is the answer but the difference between the two renders will hardly be noticeable, simply because of all the other ways in which the sound will be transmitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back