Plastering advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After chimney removal my daughters house needs a couple of ceilings patched, can they be skimmed or is it advisable to have entire ceiling done?

Sponsored Links
Its easy enough to patch and skim to match existing but it depends on the state of the ceiling.
Pics of the ceiling holes would help?

Just received quotes of £300 and £900 , second quote, plasterer wants to do entire ceilings. There is also about 6m of new plasterboard on walls which is also in the quote for just a skim.

Attachments

• C93B4877-92D9-4295-B6EF-EDB0729DB554.jpeg
    C93B4877-92D9-4295-B6EF-EDB0729DB554.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 5FA814F8-2164-46AF-B536-FF181C407577.jpeg
    5FA814F8-2164-46AF-B536-FF181C407577.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 73
Thanks for the pics.
Your call ref ceiling and walls and prices.

Doing the whole ceiling would make meeting at the walls easy for the board skim but if coving is going up its irrelevant.

But I would simply skim the ceiling patches, and after taping I'd leave it a little, and then press the taping well hard with the trowel to squeeze out a little fat - then use the fat to take the taping to nothing. Be cautious with water, only use a little or non if possible.

Sponsored Links
Can't see any screws in existing ceiling around edge other than new board edges? I' like to add screws on both sides of join and along wall edge. No flex causing cracks.
Also top of wall needs wood across then screws to stop flex between wall and ceiling join. Also something for plaster to push against if a gap like you have or will fall through a bit.
I like to fit board level with existing ceiling or hard work dragging out to get level.
If I patch skim I go back and sand and fill edges then prime so no call backs from that join to existing ceiling showing, which is why some will want to skim the lot. Call backs are a loss so to be avoided. Can avoid by skimming the lot.

£500 ish around here. Depends on quality of work.
Know father and son team and that would be easy day at £400 for them. Maybe.
I'd tape and level out and seal.
Come back and skim.
Then I'd snag and spray prime but that's my thing so 2.5 days.
I would not budge on that. I don't do call backs with paint pealing or light showing marks. I leave spot on.

More plasterboard you say? That would be more work.

Last edited:
If the cost isn't the issue always go for a full ceiling, patching is Ok to a point and has its advantages in terms of less mess or disruption. Seeing you have had a chimney removed the mess shouldn't be the issue there are some good price costs and guides here and also this one is repairing an old ceiling patch look under videos on the website videos

Depending on size easy to skim whole ceiling then patch and blend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back