Plastering after rewiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are electricians given any training in plastering?

I have just been helping a relative to redecorate after a rewiring.
A lot of work could have been avoided, if the electrician had taken a little more care and replastered the cut out channels more neatly. It would have saved a lot of sanding down, and a lot of dust.

Sponsored Links
Thats why he's an electricain and not a plasterer ;)

No, plastering wasn’t included in the course I took.
All filling of channels no mater how well done shows through any type of wall covering if the light is right.

You will need to have the wall skimmed for perfection

I wasnt given any training in plastering. I work for a company where some of the Electricians sometimes do a little plastering. I don't as I like to do a good job and I know I'm no plasterer. Also the company charges £25 an hour and for that you want a professional job.

Sponsored Links
I have found that if you use metal capping then the plaster tends to crack from the thermal expansion, even if you have 5mm of plaster on top after a few years it cracks.

I think the best thing to do is to use PVC conduit and then use no more nails to glue the conduit down. that way it doesn't crack.

Plastering isn't difficult, that smoothover stuff makes it real easy to use but I agree if a plank does a rubbish job cutting the channels then it makes it more difficult.

I no longer do the patching up as it is never as good as reskimming the whole room. The customer does not usually want to have the entire house re plastered, so it is up to them as to the standard of the finish that they require. I tell them beforehand so as not to upset them at the end of the job. You can do a brilliant rewire and one bad patch of plasterwork and the customer tells all their friends that you are a crap sparky. It is not worth the hassle. And, do plasterers learn how to do electrical work whilst they are training?

im not that good at plastering. i could plaster a chase etc after ive done some work, but there is no way i could do a full wall (well i could, but i cant guarantee how smooth it would be...)

i get a mate who lives around the corner to do it, he is a plasterer and does it far better than me

the customer sees you getting a pro in to do the plastrering it leaves a better job and a better image for me

he also picks up work after they see his job- so a win win situation all round

andrew2022 said:
im not that good at plastering. i could plaster a chase etc after ive done some work, but there is no way i could do a full wall (well i could, but i cant guarantee how smooth it would be...)
You sound just like me.

In which case I can guarantee how smooth the wall would be
tontopallus.gif

Interesting replies, and they confirm what I suspected.

But, I think it would be a great benefit to householders, if electricians would have a little training in this matter, and would take a little more care, in the patching up.

Yes, but they would soon realise they could earn LOADSAMONEY!! as plasterers and then there would be a shortage of sparks :p

And there isn't a shortage of sparks?

Best to tell teh customer that reparation is down to them unless ists a little bit of plaster round a fitting.

Why I posted this topic in the first place, because the job I was involved with in redecorating etc, was chases in several rooms, from the ceiling down to the skirting board. What occurred to me was that very little skill is needed to run a plastering trowel down the wall to get the plaster flush with the wall surface.
Another point had to be put in later, and I asked that this should not be filled in. I did it myself and got a finish flush with the rest of the wall without much difficulty, I simply applied the plaster, and before it had set, carefully ran the trowel down the wall, quite easy really.

LMAO!!

Your lucky he did any patching up at all.

Most will just leave the chases bare and leave you to pay a plasterer to do it for you. Dont give the guy a bad rep just cause you had to do something too. geez lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back