Plastering bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bathrrom of the flat I recetnly bought only has lining paper on the walls and ceiling. This is starting to come away in places and needs replacing. My question is, is it better getting the walls and ceiling skimmed in this room rather than putting up lining paper?

Sponsored Links
Lining paper in a bathroom? That's optimistic!

I would strip it off, do my alterations, get the plasterer to skim the lot then repaint in kitchen & bathroom paint.

That's what I thought. I don't know why it was put there in the first place as it looks awful - little effort made to hide the joins in the paper. I take it that it's not advisable to leave the plasterboard exposed for too long after stripping the walls?

My bathroom is part-tiled as well, will I need to remove all the tiles before I get someone in to skim the walls?

Sponsored Links
As long as the plasterboard is in good shape and the room well aired it won't matter. If the board is dodgy, pull it down because it's really not much extra work for a plasterer to re-board. He won't want to plaster on a dodgy surface anyway. Check there's no movement at the places where the board is nailed to the timbers. If there is, the minute the plaster goes on and somebody leans on it, the nail heads will pop a nice little cap of plaster out. Put in some screws next to the loose nails.

If you like the tiles, keep them as a plasterer can work down to them. However this is a good opportunity to replace them.

If you are completely refitting the bathroom and shower, take a look at Mermaid shower boards and similar, these are fantastic boards made from a selection of finishes laminated onto marine ply. They come with the full fitting kit, edges, corners etc and an excellent sealing system for the shower tray. It's pricey but quicker than tiling and won't suffer from mildew in future years. Let me know if you'd like me to email a pic of ours to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back