Plastering behind radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've have just moved into a 1930s flat and this weekend have stripped off 3 layers of wallpaper in one room to find some walls in good condition, and some in need of some attention. In particular, we've found a slight hole just above the radiator. Our radiators are inset into the wall, and are old (1930s) ones. The plumber's already told us they're nigh on impossible to move, as there are no shut off valves. Before I call the plasterers out, I'm just wondering if it's at all likely he'll be able to get to the hole. There's a hand's width (about 3cm)of space behind the radiator, and about 5 cm above it. The hole is from where old windows leaked before they were replaced 18 months ago., but seems pretty stable now (ie not damp, or crumbling). Would the plasterer be able to cover it with board maybe? Previous owners had covered it with strange adhesive silver paper. Help! I'm worried this simple redecorating job is going to cost a fortune.

Sponsored Links
Even if it's possible to get a hand to the hole, it's not always possible to get a normal trowel into the space although a margin trowel would help.

It's best to get a plasterer round for his (or her) opinion.

Your plumber says there's no shut off valves. Is it not possible to drain the system down and add thermostatic valves?

Regards

Fred

amyboo said:
The plumber's already told us they're nigh on impossible to move, as there are no shut off valves.

Sounds like a definite cop out to me, he just wants an easy life; it's no big deal to drain the system down!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I had a builder round last night and he reackons he can drain the system and move the radiator, as the wall needs re-rendered behind where there's been a damp problem in the past. I think you're right in that the plumber just wasn't fancying the job himself!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back