Plastering behind radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had some new smaller radiators fitted leaving patches behind where the plasterer before we moved in didn't remove the radiators. As the patches are so small I was going to scrape off the woodchip wallpaper as it's falling off anyway and then skim the patches with thistle mutli-finish. My mate recommended easi fill as I haven't plastered before. Thoughts on what I should use?

Sponsored Links
If you have no skills then something which sands easily would be best.
Though to do it correctly then the rads should be loosened and swung down to allow full access.

Or you could put reflecting foil behind to give a bit more heat out. You could probably get it from a plumbers merchant it is quite sturdy and you stick it on the wall with double backed sticky tape..

I'm going to take the radiators off but I've never plastered before. So is easifill the best option.

The problem is that the wall that is now visible looks rubbish so putting the tin foil lining reflective stuff over would not be a good idea.

Sponsored Links
I haven't used easifill but have used fastset (which is normally used for fitting coving etc - they're probably both similar stuff). It leaves a soft finish so it can be sanded back to flat easily if you don't manage to get a great finish when applying. It also 'feathers down' well at edges, again, by sanding if necessary. Multi finish sets hard so you need to get it right before it hardens - much more difficult than plasterers make it look.
To sand back use a flat sanding block with reduction paper, maybe 60 or 80 grit to start with, then maybe 160 grit to finish. And don't under estimate the amount of dust it'll produce.

Cheers @alan333 I'll give that a go. I don't doubt the amount of dust; I've learnt that after chasing plaster before and not putting a mask on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back