Plastering bricked up window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning!

I am after some advice please.

We are in the middle of having a house extension done, we are quite competent DIYer's and have a super father in law for lots of help. We asked out builders to quote and build us the shell of the extension and then we would get on and arrange all of the finishing (electrics and plastering, plumbing etc) ourselves.

Our builders went ahead and bricked our hallway side window that now overlooks the new side bedroom.

Unbeknown to use they could have used 9" block instead of a 6" block to avoid an unsightly gap (nicely pointed out by my father). It's a little annoying but kit the end of the world.

My question is do we:

A) just leave it and let the plasterer sort it when we are ready for him
B) use some small timbers and a piece of plasterboard to bring the level out to much nearer the current wall level.
C) buy some browning and fill in the gap in advance of the plasterer so it's ready for straight plaster as soon as he arrives?

I have attached a photo, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm just getting a bit fed up of looking at it as it is, so was thinking if we can make it look marginally better for now that would be a bonus. We probably won't be ready for a plastered for another couple of months yet!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 187
Sponsored Links
Are you having the whole wall re-plastered or just the old window opening? Is the window board being removed?
I would probably go down the dot n dab method.

Either a few batons and board it or as above dot an dab board onto it, don't bring it flush with the wall if your not having the whole wall plastered.

Thanks all the whole wall will end up being replastered as the wall at the top of the stairs is to come out soon.

Will get boarding later.

Appreciate your replies

Sponsored Links
If the whole wall is to be skimmed at the same time. I would dot/dab board to level with exiting wall.Then tape joint the butted joints of existing wall and plasterboard, ready for skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back