Plastering directly onto the metal surround of an electric fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice as I'm stuck between two workmen confidently telling me opposite things.

I'm have an in-the-wall electric fire installed in the chimney breast. I have my own guy that is going to board and skim the whole chimney breast once it's in situ. The shop-supplied fitters have knocked out the hole and wired the fire in, and they've left instructions for the plasterer to board up to the edge of the fire (line A on the attached photo) and then apply skim directly to the metal up to the window (line B). The fitters will then return to fit granite slips around the fire.

The plasterer, who is very good at his job, has point blank refused for the following reasons:

1 - plaster won't key to metal
2 - the water in the plaster will eventually rust the metal.
3 - with a poor fix between the plaster and the metal, the granite slips will eventually fail
4 - to get the perfectly flat finish the fitters have requester, the plasterer will have to apply pressure which will push wet plaster in between gaps in the metal panels of the fire directly into the electricals
5 - as the metal is an electric fire, the constant expansion and contraction will inevitably cause cracking down the road.

The fitters, meanwhile, work on behalf of a reputable small company with many good reviews. They assure me that this is the way they do things and they never have any problems.

My concern is that if I ask the plasterer to do what they ask, against his better judgement, and six months down the line the wall cracks/fails, the fitters will say it's the plasterers fault, and vice versa.

Thoughts?
20220918_133739.jpg

Sponsored Links
Welcome to diy.not.
I'm no plasterer but I think his reasons are perfectly valid. Are the granite slips big enough to bridge the gap between A and B?

No, the metal face is about 4.5 inches, and the slips are going to be 4 inches, so the gap at the top will need to be covered well

Sponsored Links
Looking at your picture there appears to be plenty of room to take a plasterboard, dabbing boards on the wall will IMHO be the better option, you should get a nicely consolidated wall , and plasterboard adhesive will stick to most surfaces without affecting them, moisture is the biggest problem with plaster rotting and I doubt you will have that issue around your fire, the fire surround should already be treated with a good paint or even be powder coated, so a chemical reaction between the two is unlikely, I would listen to your plasterer as he should have a good working knowledge of the products he uses and what they cannot be used on,
EDIT
the thickness of skim you would need to fill the area from A to B is too deep, and it would cause issues for the plaster, plus it would have a good chance of falling off years down the line, plater board would be my preferred option, let's not forget it is still a plaster product

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back