Plastering help - Dip in wall? *pics*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope you can help me here..

I've removed a door and frame and put in a bit of extra stud to hold the plasterboard.

Now, where the new board is it's kind of dipped in a bit. I'll be plastering the entire wall, also re boarding and plastering the ceiling.

What is the best method as I'm not keen on trying to float it in all in one go, I find that too difficult. Should I try just skim that area first to bring it up a bit? with skim or bond? then 2 coat entire wall?

Also it's more dipped on one side, guess that other side has more skim or something..

Huge thanks in advance
Img_0207_zpse308a64a.jpg

Img_0209_zps647a33a0.jpg

Img_0208_zpsc2b5c56f.jpg

Sponsored Links
Fill out the plasterboarded area with Bonding Coat. Bring it out flush to the wall either side of the old opening. Use a small straight edge across wall, (horizontally), to make sure the Bonding is out flush. Fill in any hollows as you go. Keep the surface of the bonding as flat as you can, no rough marks etc, then just before it sets, give it a rub over with a wooden/plastic float. Leave it to set. Check over the original plaster to the left and right. Give each wall a clean/sand down, check for cracks/loose plaster and flaky paint. Because you're not wanting to do this in one go, leave it a couple of days to dry out. Once the middle area has dried out, PVA across the "whole wall", maybe even 2 coats, to seal the wall, and to kiill any suction. Let the pva dry.
You will now have to tape the 2 vertical joints where the new plasterboard meets the original plaster. With this type of joints, i tape "horizontaly/across" the joint.
Cut a load of 6 inch pieces of mesh tape, and tape across the joint all the way up the wall from top to bottom. Do that to the joints on either side.
You're now ready to plaster the "whole wall" from one side to the other. If you're going to re-board the ceiling, then do that first before you plaster the wall, because you'll need to tape the ceiling into the walls, unless you're putting up coving. When you come to plaster the wall you've prepped/taped, give it another coat of pva then plaster onto it while it's "wet/tacky". Dont ever plaster onto dry pva. If the PVA does begin to dry out, just roll on some more pva. Hope you understand all this Potential, and good luck. ;)

Thank you, that does make sense yes.

Regarding scrim, which do you use? as the standard stuff is terrible and won't even stick to bond

Regarding scrim, which do you use? as the standard stuff is terrible and won't even stick to bond

The self-adhesive stuff is not the greatest, but should be ok if the Bonding is dry i.e. from one day to the next should be enough dry out for it to stick.

Put your scrim on before applying any diluted PVA. Be careful not to over PVA where the scrim is, as it does have a tendency then to come away if it gets too wet!

Sponsored Links
If it doesn't want to stick to the bonding etc, mix up a "very small" amount of bonding "on your hawk", dip a small brush into some pva, then dip the brush into the bonding on your hawk, and just brush it over the tape and it'll hold it. That's the way i do it if it wont stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back