Plastering internal walls - non cavity wall detached house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the best options to use for plastering internal walls of solid brick (non cavity) walls in a detached house. We're in the process of buying such a house and the surveyors reports says that the whole house should be replastered.

We'd ideally like to use sand/cement render or bonding but not sure how bad they are for insulation purposes, considering all the external walls are open to the elements.

I did a search but couldn't find anything specific.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you intend removing more than 25% of the plastering then it will fall under b'reg's and will need to be done to the latest standards, i.e. 50mm celotex etc.

....or you could ignore reg's and please yourself. :eek:

But if you do intend stripping all the external walls back to bare brick, then it would be a shame not to insulate. You can buy foil backed insulation bonded plasterboards but these would need fixing to battens.

I didn't realise about notifying building regs. We're getting other work done anyway that needs notifying so this should be no problem.

So you'd go for insulation + plasterboard over rendering? I've heard this causes issues when fixing things onto the wall and assumed that rendering is always the preffered option (but more time consuming).

Sponsored Links
I didn't realise about notifying building regs. We're getting other work done anyway that needs notifying so this should be no problem.

I've also warned about this little gem on several occaions & a few have been caught out by the 24% rule; it applies to external rendering as well as internal plaster finishing. External rendering requires notification anyway & it’s work that’s highly visible so can easily give you away; with internal re-rendering/plastering, in reality, you’re unlikely to get caught out unless your doing other work that’s subject to inspection. It’s usually then that the friendly, visiting BI will drop his bombshell that as you’ve removed more than 24% of the finishing from a thermal element (the outside walls), the thermal insulation of the walls for whole house has to be upgraded to current standards. :eek:

So you'd go for insulation + plasterboard over rendering? I've heard this causes issues when fixing things onto the wall and assumed that rendering is always the preffered option (but more time consuming).
What grade of insulation upgrade you will need will depend on your current wall construction; it’s not something I have much experience with but I’m sure you will get excellent advice from those on here more knowledgeable than me. Good luck with it. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back