plastering job - at my wits end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a long one - please be patient, i need some expert advice

im increasingly feeling low after having a plastering job done on my living room. I ssem to attract the most unskilled local tradesmen.

I had to remove 40% of the plaster in the room because it had blown. The plasterer has plasterboarded these areas but had to cut pieces like a jigasw puzzle due to cable conduits at various angles on some walls and he has skimmed the rest.

The plastering job looked fine at first, but it was clear that he had other jobs to go to and rushed the last 50% of the job.
He came back to fix up the coving, but i had to stop him halfway through the job because it looked terrible. He would not agree that there was anything wrong with his work so i had to sack him.

I painted the walls as advised, with 50/50 white emulsion and then a second coat at 100%.
Hairline cracks (about 20) have appeared since the plaster/paint has dried out which really p****d me off. I visisted the local builders merchants to see if they could reccomend a quality plasterer to take a look at the job, which they very kindly did.
The guy came and looked at the work and advised that the work had been done by a very un-skilled plasterer and said that he'd help us out. In the menatime he reccomended i fill in the hairline cracks with 'plasterers jointing compound', which i did, spending three days sanding, filling, sanding, filling. Looking at the areas this morning, four of the cracks have re-appeared, albeit, much less noticible than before.

I am now wondering if i can ever get rid of these hairline cracks. These cracks and in places where there weren't cracks before i had the job done.

Should i sand and fill again? will the jointing compound work eventually?, do i need to have the whole job done again? (god forbid)

What should i do? - Please Help

Yours Hopefully
Andy :cry:

Sponsored Links
try unibond flexible filler, i had a similar problem and it worked fine

Id go for lining paper, im sorry you have had a crap job done....but the cracks, if they are running in all different direction can sometimes be common....allthought they normally take quite a while to manifest themselves

Go for 800 grade lining paper......too much filling will leaves scars all over the walls and will look worse than the cracks

Sponsored Links
:( it seems such a shame to line the walls as we began this project so that we could enjoy paper free, flat, crack free walls.

We have another plasterer coming tonight to fix some of the work and after that we're going to begin the painting. Fingers crossed that two good coats of matt paint will hide any other fine cracks. If not, we'll have to use paper in the new year :(

Thanks for the advice -

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back