Plastering old boiler hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new boiler fitted but I know need to plaster where the old boiler was. The area is the size of a boiler (obviously!) & is approx 1 cm to 3cm deep where the flue was. What would be best to use to fill/level it off?
I'm pretty new to this so any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I would probably seal it with PVA and then build up layers of undercoat plaster to just below the level of the surrounding wall, then finish off with a topcoat.

Undercoat plaster is coarser than topcoat/finishing plaster, so is more suitable for filling deeper areas. Alternatively, you could use plasterboard initially to cut down on the amount of undercoat paster needed.

If you're not used to making up plaster to the right consistency, then buy a tub of ready-mixed plaster to do the final coats so that you get a good finish.

I've actually used a tub of Wickes jointing compound for this in the past as it's fairly cheap and can be easily sanded to a smooth finish, however this does create a lot of dust, so you need to make sure you wear a proper face mask and make sure it doesn't get into your new boiler or any adjacent rooms !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back