Plastering old solid kitchen walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,
I have a ~100yr old house. Am renovating the kitchen and the walls are a state. Peeling paint, plaster coming off with tiles, generally a mess. Will be rewired too so chases to fill.
Its a 9'' solid wall which has been plastered with what looks like sand and cement and multi many years ago
I'm aware of breathability issues with old houses, and ideally it should be lime plaster, but there doesn't seem to be a damp issue.
Should I just get it patch repaired and skimmed with multi?
Or was thinking hack off the plaster on external walls and get it redone using Limelite and the internal walls just skimmed with multi?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If the top layer of plaster comes off easily with a scraper under it meaning it has blown, I would get all that off first and just use bonding on any areas of the sand cement that need repair. Then just use heavy diluted pva and skim over that. Be careful with kitchen wall paint as some of it could contain lead.

you could post photos of the inside an the outside of the walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back