Plastering old walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone advise me on what needs doing

I have recently started stripping the wall paper off the walls in an old terrace house there are 6 layers in total with a skim of plaster after the third layer of wallpaper!

After all the the wallpaper is off the plaster is falling off parts of the walls in places. What do I do?

Do I hack off the old lath and plaster completely?

Or is it possible to plaster over when in a bad condition?

Or could I not have even bothered to strip the walls and got them plaster boarded over?

Please help I don't want to waste time stripping walls and hacking off plaster un- necessarily

Sponsored Links
I has the same problem in my house so I took all the old crap off in some parts right back to the brick and then got it all built back up then skimmed.

Looks nice now.

Sponsored Links
1andrea said:
Do I hack off the old lath and plaster completely?

Probably the best route. If the plaster has blown in some places it won't be long before the rest might do. Rip it all off and put up plasterboard in it's place, fixing them to the existing studs.

You could just plasterboard over the existing stuff using dot and dab, but if some of it's already coming off you might as well go the whole hog plus a few trips to the local tip. :) Makes it easier to put up the plasterboard when you can see the studs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back