Plastering onto plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to put up some new cupboards in my kitchen. It has been suggested to me that since my walls are plasterboard I should cut away the plasterboard and replace with playwood for a good fixingproble. With that is the finish. There will be about 3-4”around the top and sides of the cupboards that will be exposed.
This is a shame since the kitchen is not in need of decorating. But what can I do?
I can’t just leave the plywood exposed, and I can’t just paint it.

Some people claim that plywood can be plastered, others that it can’t. If it can, how would I go about doing that?

Sponsored Links
You'd put ply on the wall, and then plasterboard over that. Or you'd work out where the fixings are going to go, and you'd put horizontal bars in between the studs.

A rail system would work okay if you can juggle the rail and the cupboards so that the rail ends up by an upright stud, and you notch the back of the cupboards where the rail goes. You can get 2m rails if you look a bit further.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Some people claim that plywood can be plastered, others that it can’t. If it can, how would I go about doing that?
your not supposed to but i have done it twice and it was successful both times i used bonding agent as a primer others on here have done it as well, but i wouldent recommend it if there are other options

Sponsored Links
You'd put ply on the wall, and then plasterboard over that. Or you'd work out where the fixings are going to go, and you'd put horizontal bars in between the studs.

A rail system would work okay if you can juggle the rail and the cupboards so that the rail ends up by an upright stud, and you notch the back of the cupboards where the rail goes. You can get 2m rails if you look a bit further.

Putting plasterboard over the ply isn’t really an option. The plasterboard would jut out from the wall. Obviously i need a flush finish.

The rail system sounds like a good idea, I just hope It lines up with the studwork on either end. I intend to hang cupboards right across the wall, so there should hopefully uprights at the courners of the room.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Done it myself too, mostly in bathrooms and kitchens where plywood has been used to box in pipework.
Put beading down the corners, brush a pva/bonding coat slurry onto the ply, let it set/dry in, then plaster onto it, never had any problems at all.

Done it myself too, mostly in bathrooms and kitchens where plywood has been used to box in pipework.
Put beading down the corners, brush a pva/bonding coat slurry onto the ply, let it set/dry in, then plaster onto it, never had any problems at all.

Cool, thanks.

Here's how i use the slurry.
Just make up a "small amount" of Bonding plaster in a bucket, for your job, a hawkfull at the most.
Don't make it too thick, (medium, spreadable.)
Pour some "neat pva" into a small, seperate container,
Put some bonding plaster "onto the hawk", then using a 3" brush, dip the brush into the pva, then dip/mix the pva into the bonding plaster on the hawk, then brush it onto the plywood, then leave it 'till it's set/dried. I normally leave it 'till the following day, then plaster onto it.

Another couple of tips:
Don't forget to tape the plywood joints into the existing wall, and also, when you slurry the ply, slurry out beyond the ply onto the existing wall, by about 4 or 5 inches, so you can blend/feather in the new plaster.
Plastering onto plywood is not a problem at all with the right prep. Obviously too, you wouldn't put a thick coat onto it, but 3, 4, 5mm max is not a problem at all. It really does work.

Last edited:
Putting plasterboard over the ply isn’t really an option. The plasterboard would jut out from the wall. Obviously i need a flush finish.

You either pack the rest of the studs out with strips of plywood, or you put battens in the studwork to allow the ply to fit flush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back