Plastering onto shoddy brick walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hacking off tiles prior to having my bathroom done, and I've found that a number of the walls have been built with the bricks laid on their sides, I guess to save on materials...

They are (were) plastered with a good 10-15mm of (I think) browning, plus, of course, a lot more depth where it had to fill in the frogs.

These pics show what I'm uncovering:

WALL_1C.jpg

WALL_2C.jpg

WALL_2_CUC.jpg

The plaster that's not coming away with the tiles is pretty soft - I can scrape it off with my fingernails. For some reason the upper 1.4m or so of the walls (where the fetching green paint starts) are much better - they appear to have been rendered with mortar, and then skimmed a very hard, grey plaster.

Anyway - I'm assuming that on the lower sections I should remove all the old stuff - my Q is what will then need to be done? Can the walls be replastered, or will the guy have to use mortar first?.

If things carry on the way they have so far there'll be about 6-7m² of area like that so sort out, so not huge, but with drying time, what's an estimate of time between starting, and being ready for tiling?

Sponsored Links
are walls going to be used in wet areas ie shower walls or a bath wall

just a thought if the walls are that bad and need about 20mm of plastering how about bedding either a cement based backer-board if being used in a wet area or plasterboard if not in a wet area and tiling over the top of the boards.........be a lot quicker

wonderdust said:
are walls going to be used in wet areas ie shower walls or a bath wall
Don't know - haven't got to the tiles on the bath walls yet - dunno what I'll find...

By cement-based backer board, do you mean Knauf Aquapanel or similar?

Sponsored Links
By cement-based backer board, do you mean Knauf Aquapanel or similar?

yes there the ones there are a few products out there mainly used in wet areas like shower walls and walls around the bath saves on spreading with sand/cement. you can use normal plasterboard if your not using them in wet areas on the other walls and tile straight on top after a coat of pva

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back