Plastering over artex - updates on thorny subject !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is a common question but a search finds quite old threads. What is the modern thinking on the best method. Ideally I would like a plasterer to skim directly over it after correct preparation - which would be what? It probably is late 80's and not containing asbestos but I don't especially want to remove it. It is swirly and relatively smooth, probably with some sort of vinyl emulsion over it.

Sponsored Links
Febond blue grit ( if shiny vinyl emulsion) then a 2 coat skim

Sponsored Links
I removed mine with a steam stripper
It made a mess but lots of polythene sheets made the tidy up easy
Possibly not the approved way though

Tiger I am interested how big was your artex ? I did you have to sand it after?

How big? It was a kitchen that is maybe 8 feet wide by about 16 long.
The pattern was a stippled finish with several layers of paint.

I didn't sand it. There were a few holes that could have been filled.
But as I had the whole room skimmed (the walls were bad) the plasterer did the ceiling

I am pretty certain I could have achieved an acceptable finish by spot filling
artex is sometimes used as a cover for poor ceilings though

Well I had it done by a local plasterer. High spots scraped off, bluegritted and then skimmed. Looked ok when he left. When dry looked possibly a bit patchy or uneven. After mist coating and several coats of Dulux Matt Vinyl Emulsion it still looks patchy and uneven. Still, it hasn't fallen down and I think I can live with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back