Plastering over Artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Just been to price up a job that i'm in two minds about, the people who own the house have plastered with thick textured paint, with high spots of 7 mil all over Ceiling, walls and reveals.
They are selling the house so they want it done as quick & cheap as possible.
Any advice would be much appreciated, would it be best to reboard or try and scrape off high points (although there are lot) etc............????

Sponsored Links
Scrape off the high spots, don't worry too much about them, then a thin skim of bonding, flatten it out a bit, let it go off (Go dark and firm) then a couple of coats of multi like you would normally..Little tip I usually put a good scoop of cement in the bonding mix, helps it go off a bit quicker ;) but if your not sure about this try this little tip if you have to use a bit of bonding for fireplaces that have been bricked up that you have got to bring in, or little patches on old walls. This tip could be the difference between a days work and a mornings work ;) I have used it for 20 odd years and no come backs ....If you scrape the highs off you may get away with a couple (or three) coats of multi, but if you are going down this route I would scrape it off put a strong coat of PVA ( 3-1) leave it over night and then another coat and then skim while "tacky".,Another tip always keep a roller and tray in your kit for unibonding and clean the roller out when your finished with it. 10 times quicker than appyling it with a brush ;)

Cheers Roy what would you think would be a reasonable price for that as i work for a company and don't get involved in the money side of things its around 35 square metres

Ive just had exactly the same remedied at my house. ie knock off peaks, bond, skim

It cost £240 for a room 12x12, thats in yorkshire, but that was about the average, although not the cheapest price i got.

You have to look at how long it will take, decide on a day rate and then charge from there, if its gonna take 2 days and say you charge £100 a day plus materials, then think how long it will take you to the next full day and charge that amount!!!

If it takes 2 days then what £250 is about right?

Andy

Sponsored Links
Set yourself an hourly rate depending on your finishing and confidence. If you are confident you will do a good job then name your price,(between £15- £20 an hour) If your not then forget it until you are confident, I charge £20 an hour and I always tell the customer what I am going to charge before I start the job. They can then take it or haggle, but if you are charging that much then it has to be a "good" job. Some times its worth lowering your hourly rate if you are gauranteed a lot of work, but for one off jobs make it worth your while. ;)

Now you said 35 m2 are you sure about that size?

Iam not sure they gave me measurements over the phone and i popped in afterwork doesnt seem right but didnt want to say anything so i thought i would price it on day rate

Ok cj just price it on what you are happy with as a day rate , don't forget when you work for yourself you command the price when you work for a company you get what they command......When you get more experienced you can always become self-employed and "sub" your-self out. Your rate will be hirer but you will have to pay your own stamp have a tax-exemption cert. and no holiday pay no sickness benefit and if you dont work you don't get paid.. Or you can work with another spread and a labourer and make a fortune and go where the work is the one thing you have on your side (I may be wrong) is youth? correct me if I'm wrong :LOL:

I use an old garden hoe to knock off any high spots in artex, but always make sure you don't breathe in the artex dust, always wear a mask. What roy c says about bonding coat onto artex is worth noting, and it also gives you a good surface to skim onto. I use bonding coat onto everything, either as a deeper float coat, or a prep coat, and then multi.

Roughcaster.

Thanks everyone great help all points taken on board and yes roy c i do have youth iam my side :LOL: at 24 still have loads to learn

cheers all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back