Plastering Over Expanding Foam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone done it?

Does multi plaster adhere to it if the foam is over a large area?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Andy,

I've never plastered over expanding foam before...... I suppose if it was a little patch out of the way it would be ok, with some tape over it, but if it was a large area of wall lower down, that could be knocked against, say by the back of a chair, settee, a table, or kids etc etc, it wouldn't take much to damage it. I see the thin coat of multi over the foam more as a shell,,,,,, would you go through it? I don't know..... Why not try a sq yd and see....Maybe some else on here HAS plastered over a larger area.... we'll soon find out..
...........How large an area of foam are you talking about,,,, whats underneath/behind it,,, and what's the overall thickness of it?

Roughcaster.

I've done this with great success.
I buried all the ch pipes into the walls in a house. This was then encased in expanding foam, cut level with the surface and then 'picked away' at until it was half inch or so below surface with a rough, pocketed surface to give the plaster a surface to lock into (to some degree). The wall was then finished with multifinish. These chases into the wall were only about 8 inches wide though. Might be a different story if your situation is a larger area.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback! I have a sizeable hole (50cm sq) in an old lathe and plaster stud wall (looks like someone has fallen down the stairs and into the wall at some stage). The wall is very large, and in good condition everywhere else, so I don't want to tear it all down and start again unnecessarily.

Conventionally I'd cut the old stuff out and fit a bit of plasterboard before plastering. However, there's all sorts of wires and pipes back there and I don't want to go cutting the old lathes out and cut something I shouldn't.

Hence my thoughts to possibly fill the hole with expanding foam, trim it back (as already commented) to just under the surface level and then plaster back up to the level of the old wall.

I suppose I can always give it a bash, and if doesn't work out then revert to conventional methods! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back