plastering over painted interior walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok ladies and gentlemen......... going to have a go at plastering my bathroom..... then kitchen and the wholoe house depending on results of first job lol.:D
my question is can i plaster over 40 year old solid interior walls, now these are an eye sore, dents plug holes bad tracking of electric.. when i moved in i just covered up the entire house walls with lining paper and painted them as a quick fix...now its boggin needs sorted....big time when i took all the linning papper of some of the old paint has came with it and some of the paint is flaking !

whats my best option.! evan a bad plastering job be myself would an should be better than what ive got now
can i just pva twice and just go or it with 2 coats of multi finish.(n)

and can anyone recomend a good trowl apart from mt trowels and refina ?
thanks in addvance good ppl

Sponsored Links
Hello mate,

I'm no professional but I have been doing my own house for the last couple of years room by room.

I had the same issue with one of the rooms in my house, took the paper off and the paint came off in patches. The sad news is that I'd say you have to remove the worst of it with a scraper and make sure that whatever is left is sound.

then do your two coats of pva, first one day before and then second on the day of plastering and plaster once tacky.

I've still got an old 10inch trowel I bought that is well worn in and gives a nice finish. Just bought a Marshalltown but it still needs wearing in.

Others will probably have wiser words. Might help if you move this to the plastering section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back