plastering question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys

im doin up my kitchen from scratch starting with having it plastered. at the moment the walls are bare brick

a friend of mine was going to do this for me. he was going to put a layer of browning on the the walls and then plaster over that. unfortunatley he has had to pull out due to other commitments and doesnt know how long he'll be.

so i called another plasterer and he advised me the best thing to do is to plasterboard to the walls first using adhiesive and then plaster over that.

having two different proffesional opinions, my question is which option would be better.

the kitchen is about 250 x 300 cm. the walls are pretty level, and once the plastering is completed i will obviously be fixing cabinets and such to the wall. i was concerned that this may disturb the plasterboard thats stuck on.

is one way better than the other, considering where its for?

thanks guys

Sponsored Links
i would have to say, for a wall thats going to be subject to multi fixing, then float and set would be best.
for insulation purposes, dot and dab fares better.
always do a plan of the electric and pipe drops before you cover with plaster.

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
i would have to say, for a wall thats going to be subject to multi fixing, then float and set would be best.

this means i agree with you. float and set is backing plaster directly applied to masonry with a skim coat on top. no hollow spots and no give.
ideal to screw fix to.

sorry mate, my bad. i didnt know the difference between the two, dot and dab and float and set. i thought they were 2 ways of securing the plasterboard!! :oops: l :D :oops:

anyway thanks alot guys. appreciate the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back