plastering training

Well done Dan, and good luck. A lot of great info' there too from Trowel Monkey, on life after learning the trade/going self employed etc. If you plan to do that in the future Dan, then small steps, and steady as you go. Only take on work/jobs that you "know" you can finish. Always do the best job that you can, and enjoy the work you do!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, im over the moon that im in college - just cant wait to get started in September. Im going to be there two days per week so thats going to work out really well so hopefully i can carry on working another 3/4.

I finally got a start with a spread on Monday - mainly been doing labouring but I have been rendering internal walls and found out how to do damp proofing. its been really useful and im thoroughly enjoying myself - although its a 70mile round trip for me each day! I always said i was willing to travel though if someone would give me the opportunity to work with them :D

I know what you mean about starting slowly...the last thing i want is to set myself up to fail...still, fingers crossed its a start of a career im really going to enjoy.

Thanks again for all your advise - i appreciate it a lot. ;)

Alryt lads

thort i would give you's a post to let you kno how ive been getting on.well i got a start with a plasterer it was basically labouring for him then started flattening in and polishing up.It started off everyday but then it started off getting quiet so was only working a couple of days.I got myself into college it was hard telling the gaffer because he helped me out in giving me a start but i kno it was for the best.now he dont even ring but since ive been at college when i started 11th sept ive just passed my first assesment which was rendering a wall and an external corner with out using angle beeds.i am really enjoying it.

Sponsored Links
thank you very much pal.i boarded and skimmed my first wall today was absolutely chuffed with myself.my tutor asked me if i had plastered before which i replied no.he said u sure because it was a excellent standard. i just told him i flattened in with the spread i used to work with and a little polishing up.

Nice job Dan,, but don't over polish,,,, it looks good, but paint wont adhere very easily to an over polished plastered surface. Nice job though,, as i said,,, well done. ;)
Keep in touch to let us know how you're getting on.

thanks Roughcaster i done it to my tutor standards and just polished it once he said that would good enough.I did the whole thing myself no tips or advive he just got me the gear and said theres ya wall crack on.i was a tad nervous but i just thought relax what does stu(my old gaffer) do and got on with it.i polished it up again and thats when i took the picture of the polished one.Then after that polish he was showing me a dry polish and showing me how to apply more preasure and using more angle on the trowel and it was like marble.but yes your right the more you polish the harder it is to paint.i was absolutly chuffed with myself for my first attempt my tutor even asked me "you sure you ain't plastered before?" i just could not whipe the smile off my face

i have a couple more pictures on when i done my rendering assesment which i passed it was hard to make an external corner without beads but i got there in the end :D

danny boy the only thing you got wrong with that wall was the time they gave you,time to move up methinks!

alright lads

today at college we had loads of companies in showing us new products etc - big companies in like morrisons and fhm.i had a bit banter with a contractor manager for fhm and i showed him some of the walls i plastered and he was well happy with my work so he said 'give me 5 mins' and he came back and said i can have a start on my college days for free work experience.i dont kno how long for but its a start anyways they said i need a cscs card is there an online site you can practice on?? i know you can get a disc but my cd rom is ****ed on my laptop. any ideas???

CSCS card os common sense common sense, shouldn't be too difficult for you mate, there are posts about it in the trade talk section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back