Plastering Window Head

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I was hoping I could get some help with plastering a window reveal.

There's roughly 80mm of the cavity at the head of the window lying open between the frame and inner leaf of block work and the cavity gap is packed with mineral wool, so how would a plasterer go about bridging this?

I ask because I need to put some airtight membrane around the window but I don't want to get in the plasterers way and don't want to waste materials (tape is quite expensive), I was hoping to get a word with the plasterer beforehand but the contractor has told me they are starting earlier than expected, so I need to get this work done tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Normally just bridge with plasterboard dabbed on. If you need air tightness membrane behind you'll have to screw the plasterboard through the membrane as obviously dabbing won't work.

Hi John, cheers for your reply, this is one of the window heads. There's a reinforced concrete sill above the windows so I'm not sure how that would impact things

nMAmEwr.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can't see anything on the photo as it's dark there and I'm on my phone, but if you can't screw into the lintel you could grip fill a batten on and screw into that .
The window manufacturing should have some suggested head detail if its a high spec window, ask for a copy. If not search velfac technical web site as they have some.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back