Plastic capping and boxes when damp

sharpspark said:
Hmm, sounds expensive the number of sockets we're putting in! Maybe a layer of duct tape will do the job. Could do the capping as well. I'm prepared to make some effort rather than surface mount everything. :)

it may be expensive, (but if you wanted to bodge it i suppose you could use standard pvc patress boxes siliconed up with the lugs removed and with the metal boxes inserted) but i think it will be less expensive than finding in a few years thet you have to do it again! there are cheeper versions

AR

Sponsored Links
Presumably if the walls are that damp then you're going to have problems in applying any decorative finishes anyway?

Won't you have to leave the papering and/or painting until they've dried out?

In which case can't you go for surface mounted stuff until then?

ban-all-sheds said:
Presumably if the walls are that damp then you're going to have problems in applying any decorative finishes anyway?
Won't you have to leave the papering and/or painting until they've dried out?
In which case can't you go for surface mounted stuff until then?

Supersparks,

ban-all-sheds is 100% correct,you'll be better off using external surface mounted socket box temporary until your damp has dried out.Best to get advice from electrician regarding bending wire inside the socket to prevent damp/moisture reaching the live terminal point and maybe sealant round the wire and screw hole slot etc,as I say I'm not a electrician.The dampproof company only solves your damp problem temporary,infact it has been known they can make it worse with dpc treatment so it can't dried out probably so the damp goes somewhere else.You got to found out where the damp is coming from,if you don't,you will go on wasting your money with treatments as it will not cure it.Sorry to be harsh,but rather be honest with you.
See previous post from martin123 for damp problems to help you.

masona said:
[Best to get advice from electrician regarding bending wire inside the socket to prevent damp/moisture reaching the live terminal point and maybe sealant round the wire and screw hole slot etc,as I say I'm not a electrician.

I hope he's just got a bit of damp - if there's so much moisture in there that water might run along cables then I'm not convinced he should have electricity there at all.....

Sponsored Links
We are definitely not talking about water running along cables here! It's just a matter of preventing corrosion on the metalwork due to the moisture and salts in the bricks, whilst the walls dry out. They are already starting to dry having had the plaster off and earth floor out for 6 weeks. Sources of damp have been sorted. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back