Plastic fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are different brands of barrier pipe & fittings interchangeable? I know the pipe sizes are a standard and the correct inserts for the type of pipe need to be used but are there any other problems I haven't thought of?

Sponsored Links
Always use the pipe manufacturers inserts, which you've already mentioned. Other than that there should be no issues.

Thanks for the reply, I've got a mixture I want to use up for my home and really need to be able to show my wife that it's OK and not just me being tight :rolleyes:

No, never mix components from different manufacturers. If you need to join two different systems, use a normal compression fitting.

Sponsored Links
No, never mix components from different manufacturers. If you need to join two different systems, use a normal compression fitting.

This is the correct advice from the manufacturers.

They will probably be ok, but if you have a problem you will be on your own, as each manufacturer will guarantee their own "system" also jointing to copper. But if a "mixed"joint fails then they will refer back to their installation instructions

This is what speedfit say;

" Other pipe and fittings that have been manufactured to BS7291 can be used with Speedfit products. If using other brands of pipe, ensure you use the correct pipe insert for that brand.

Correct information?
No, they say this so you don't use perfectly acceptable leftover fittings.
They want you to buy and use theirs.

Correct information?
No, they say this so you don't use perfectly acceptable leftover fittings.
They want you to buy and use theirs.

From the Hep2o guide

Connection to Plastic Pipes
Hep2O® should not be used in conjunction with other manufacturers plastics pipe and fittings as dimensional tolerances and quality control cannot be guaranteed by Wavin.

The problem is indeed with the inserts, some manufacturers use stainless steel inserts, others plastic and some plastic with additional seals.
Each fitting is designed to be used with their inserts and pipe (a system) By swopping components from different manufacturers that haven't been specifically designed for use with each other you run the risk of a problem.

Hep2o are very clear on where they stand as to warranty, the reason Speedfit may have a different stance is that they have gone down the route of the DIY and OEM markets. And will have every Tom, Dick or Harry using their product.

A typical situation would be, plumber uses a Speedfit Fitting with Hepworth Insert with Polypie pipe and there is a "BlowOff. All bits returned to Speedfit (John Guest) who say there is nothing wrong with their fitting it must be one of the other components, it turns out to be the Hepworth component, who reject liability because of the above disclaimer.

So back to John Guest to recover all costs for your time, other trades and all damage caused.

Good luck with that one. As I said before "you will be on your own"

Question - "is it worth the risk"

So, copper tube made in Liverpool, the West Midlands, Germany, China or Bolivia with whatever tolerances can all be used.

Why, because Wavin don't make copper tube.

Hepworth Insert with Polypie pipe
We always say use the pipe manufacturer's insert.
The only problem with tolerance will always be the ID of the pipe.

So, copper tube made in Liverpool, the West Midlands, Germany, China or Bolivia with whatever tolerances can all be used.

Why, because Wavin don't make copper tube.

If you take the time to read and digest what I wrote you would understand what I said.
The fittings are manufactured to each manufacturers design and specification as are the inserts , the pipe is manufactured to BS covering OD (although wall thickness may vary) as such are designed as a system.

Copper tube wherever it is made, as long as it is BS and the correct OD can be used with any of the above mentioned push fit fittings. It can also be used with any BS fitting (Yorkshire, Compression, End Feed etc) because the jointing method relies on either solder filling the gap between tube and fitting or an olive being compressed onto the tube.

On a plastic joint the joint relies on the correct components being installed so that the "O" ring and grab ring sit correctly on the pipe.

I don't see why your "Wavin don't make copper tube" statement has any bearing on anything, as already stated, you can use all mentioned push fit fittings directly onto copper.

I see you didn't comment on the "Typical Situation" that I posted or answer the question that I posed.

15mm OD plastic (PEX, PB) is 15mm. There is nothing on one manufacturer's outer surface to make another manufacturer's grip and O rings not sit correctly on the pipe.

The fittings are manufactured to each manufacturers design and specification
Not when it comes to the OD they are not.

Do you drink Evian water, by any chance?

15mm OD plastic (PEX, PB) is 15mm. There is nothing on one manufacturer's outer surface to make another manufacturer's grip and O rings not sit correctly on the pipe.

The fittings are manufactured to each manufacturers design and specification
Not when it comes to the OD they are not.

Do you drink Evian water, by any chance?

No, but still no reply to the situation I suggested

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back