Plastic gulley lift higher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm laying new patio and I need to raise up this gulley to match the new level of the paving, I know that this is fitted into a pottery gully (sand/cement) that was broken when we moved in.

Will I need to somehow remove this gulley replacing it with a longer one or is there something else I can do.

Any advice will be great Thanks

Attachments

• 20230825_181756.jpg
    20230825_181756.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230825_181752.jpg
    20230825_181752.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
If the gully is still broken under ground then this will need to be removed and replaced.

Andy

No it's not broken underground it was just the top what held the grate it was just chipped mire cosmetic than anything

No it's not broken underground
Have you dug it up to look?

How old is it?

Where is the DPC in the wall, relative to your proposed new paving height?

Is that moss I can see growing in the wet brickwork?

Sponsored Links
Have you dug it up to look?

How old is it?

Where is the DPC in the wall, relative to your proposed new paving height?

Is that moss I can see growing in the wet brickwork
It's not broke below the ground

The plastic gulley is around 10 year old

DPC is around 2ft at a guess above the new paving height

Back to the original question what is the best way to heighten it

Those plastic gullies and traps are sometimes made in one piece, but often in several pieces and you can add a vertical joiner. I think you will have to dig round it to see how it is made. With luck the top part will pull out.

Examples

1692988264616.png
1692988347432.png

Older clay ones, however, are usually broken and need to be dug out.

Where is the break?
how much higher does it need to go?
You may well just be able to “stack” one on top of the old one so long as the actual plastic to terracotta is ok?

it might need care when stacking to get the levels right and some protection of the open areas if adding sand and cement

Where is the break?
how much higher does it need to go?
You may well just be able to “stack” one on top of the old one so long as the actual plastic to terracotta is ok?

it might need care when stacking to get the levels right and some protection of the open areas if adding sand and cement
That was my exact thought about putting one on top of the other just remove the grate and run the other inside and mortar mix around to hold it in place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back